Toru Ishida (Professor)
Ishida and Matsubara
Department of Social Informatics
606-8501 Kyoto, Japan
FAX: +81 75-753-4820
Access: Researcg Building 7, Room 424
I have been a professor of Kyoto University since 1993. Before that I was a research scientist at NTT Laboratories. My academic paths include visiting scientist/professor positions at Columbia University, Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Le Laboratoire d'Informatique de Paris 6, University of Maryland, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Tsinghua University, Xinjiang University and Hong Kong Baptist University. I was a project leader at NTT Communication Science Laboratories from1998 to 2004, and the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT) from 2006 to 2010. I was an editor-in-chief of Journal on Web Semantics (Elsevier) and an associate editor of IEEE PAMI. I am a fellow of IEEE, IPSJ, and IEICE since 2002, 2005, and 2008. I was a 2011 President of IEICE Information and Systems Society (IEICE-ISS) and a vice president of IEICE from 2014-2015. I was a research supervisor of JST PRESTO Information Environments and Humans, and a member of Science Council of Japan from 2011-2017.
My research interest lies with autonomous agents and multiagent systems, and I have been working on this theme for more than twenty years. I worked for creating conferences on autonomous agents and multiagent systems including MACC/JAWS (Japanese), PRIMA (Asia/Pacific) and ICMAS/AAMAS (International). I served as a program co-chair of the second ICMAS, a chair of the first PRIMA, and a general co-chair of the first AAMAS. I was an associate editor of Journal on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (Springer), and a board member of the International Foundation on Autonomous Agent and Multiagent Systems (IFAAMAS).
I have been working on action researches including Digital City Kyoto, Intercultural Collaboration Experiments, and Language Grid. I started a project on Digital City Kyoto in 1988. The portal site was opened until 2001. I initiated an Intercultural Collaboration Experiments (ICE) with Chinese, Korean, Malaysian colleagues in 2002, a year after 9.11. In 2006, I began a project to create a language service infrastructure on the Internet. Since 2007, the Language Grid has been operated by Department of Social Informatics, Kyoto University. So far, 170 groups from 22 countries join the Language Grid to share more than 220 language services.
I created Kyoto University Design School with my colleagues in Informatics, Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, Management and Psychology. The school started in April 2013.
Last Update: January 2016
Previous Research Activities
Selected Publication for more details
1. Toru Ishida Ed. Field Informatics. Kyoto University Field Informatics Research Group. Springer, 2012.
2. Toru Ishida Ed. The Language Grid: Service-Oriented Collective Intelligence for Language Resource Interoperability. Springer, 2011.
3. Toru Ishida Ed. Culture and Computing: Computing and Communication for Crosscultural Interaction. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 6259, Springer-Verlag, 2010.
1. Mairidan Wushouer, Toru Ishida, Donghui Lin and Katsutoshi Hirayama. A Constraint Approach to Pivot-based Bilingual Dictionary Induction. ACM Transactions on Asian Language Information Processing, 2015.
2. Arif Bramantoro, Ahlem Ben Hassine, Shigeo Matsubara, Toru Ishida. Multilevel Analysis for Agent-Based Service Composition. J. Web Eng. Vol. 14, No. 1&2, pp. 63-79, 2015.
3. Chunqi Shi, Toru Ishida, and Donghui Lin. Translation Agent: A New Metaphor for Machine Translation. New Generation Computing, Vol.32, No.5, pp.163-186, 2014.
4. Donghui Lin, Toru Ishida, Yohei Murakami and Masahiro Tanaka. QoS Analysis for Service Composition by Human and Web Services. IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems, Vol.E97-D, No.4, pp.762-769, 2014.
5.Hiromitsu Hattori, Yuu Nakajima and Toru Ishida. Learning from Humans: Agent Modeling with Individual Human Behaviors. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part A: Systems and Humans, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 1-9, 2011.
1. Mai Xuan Trang, Yohei Murakami, Toru Ishida. Policy-Aware Optimization of Parallel Execution of Composite Services. 2015 IEEE 12th International Conference on Services Computing (SCC 2015), New York, USA, 2015.06.29. (Best Paper Award)
2. Kemas M.Lhaksmana, Yohei Murakami, Toru Ishida. Cascading Failure Tolerance in Large Scale Service Networks. 2015 IEEE 12th International Conference on Services Computing (SCC 2015), New York, USA, 2015.06.28.
3. Toru Ishida, Yohei Murakami, Donghui Lin, Takao Nakaguchi, Masayuki Otani. Open Language Grid - Towards a Global Language Service Infrastructure. The Third ASE International Conference on Social Informatics, Cambridge, USA, 2014. Invited paper
4. Toru Ishida, Donghui Lin, Masayuki Otani, Shigeo Matsubara, Yohei Murakami, Reiko Hishiyama, Yuu Nakajima, Toshiyuki Takasaki, and Yumiko Mori. Field-Oriented Service Design: A Multiagent Approach. The 2nd International Conference on Serviceology, 2014.
5. Chunqi Shi, Donghui Lin and Toru Ishida. Agent Metaphor for Machine Translation Mediated Communication. International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI-13), pp. 67-74, 2013.
6. Naomi Yamashita, Andy Echenique, Toru Ishida and Ari Hautasaari. Lost in Transmittance: How Transmission Lag Enhances and Deteriorates Multilingual Collaboration. International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW-13), pp. 923-934, 2013.
7. Toru Ishida, Yohei Murakami, Donghui Lin, Masahiro Tanaka, and Rieko Inaba. Language Grid Revisited: An Infrastructure for Intercultural Collaboration. International Conference on Practical Applications of Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (PAAMS-12), Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing, 2012, Vol. 155, pp. 1-16, 2012.
8. Yohei Murakami, Masahiro Tanaka, Donghui Lin, and Toru Ishida, Service Grid Federation Architecture for Heterogeneous Domain, IEEE International Conference on Services Computing (SCC-12), pp. 539-546, 2012.
9. Jun Matsuno and Toru Ishida. Constraint Optimization Approach to Context Based Word Selection. International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-11), pp. 1846-1851, 2011.
10.Makoto Nakatsuji, Yasuhiro Fujiwara, Akimichi Tanaka, Toshio Uchiyama, Ko Fujimura and Toru Ishida. Classical Music for Rock Fans? Novel Recommendations for Expanding User Interests. ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM-10), pp.949-958, 2010.
11.Makoto Nakatsuji, Yasuhiro Fujiwara, Akimichi Tanaka, Tadasu Uchiyama and Toru Ishida. Recommendations over Domain Specific User Graphs. European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI-10), pp. 607-612, 2010.
12.Toru Ishida. The Language Grid for Intercultural Collaboration. Web Science Conference (WebSci-10), 2010.
13.Masahiro Tanaka, Yohei Murakami, Donghui Lin and Toru Ishida. Service Supervision for Service-oriented Collective Intelligence. IEEE International Conference on Services Computing (SCC-10), pp.154-161, 2010.
14.Yohei Murakami, Lin Donghui, Masahiro Tanaka, Takao Nakaguchi and Toru Ishida. Language Service Management with the Language Grid. International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC-10), 2010.
15.Donghui Lin, Yoshiaki Murakami, Toru Ishida, Yohei Murakami and Masahiro Tanaka. Composing Human and Machine Translation Services: Language Grid for Improving Localization Process. International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC-10), 2010.
16.Arif Bramantoro, Ulrich Schaefer and Toru Ishida. Towards an Integrated Architecture for Composite Language Services and Components. International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC-10), 2010.
17.Toru Ishida, Rieko Inaba, Yohei Murakami, Tomohiro Shigenobu, Donghui Lin and Masahiro Tanaka. The Language Grid: Creating Customized Multilingual Environments. International Conference on Global Interoperability for Language Resources (ICGL-10), 2010.
1. Toru Ishida. Intercultural Collaboration Using Machine Translation. IEEE Internet Computing, pp. 26-28, 2010.
For more information, CV is available.